Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Direction

Before we can evaluate if the Alexander Technique is the Yoga of Zen, I want to talk about one more word.  It is an AT technical term: Direction.  Durring my first lesson with Rebecca Robbins, Director of the Oregon Center for the Alexander Technique I was given a slip of paper with a few lines written on it.  I was told that when I get the impulse to get out of a chair, that I was to stop (or in technical terms "inhibit the end-gaining") and recite these few lines silently.  Later I was encouraged to follow this procedure any time I felt that I was "end-gaining".  Those lines were similar to:

  • Let my neck be free
  • Let my head go forward and up
  • Let my back lengthen and widen
  • Let my knees go out and away
  • To let my ankles drop
Alexander wrote in the Use of the Self that "direction" indicates "the process involved in projecting messages from the brain to the mechanisms and in conducting the energy necessary to the use of these mechanisms."  
  
Direction has certain features.  
-It is generated by the cognitive mind.  It is the conscious direction of energy.
-Direction is aimed at the mechanism that controls the body.
-it has a geographic feature ("up" "wide" "forward" etc)
-it is positive, as opposed to the inhibition of end-gaining which is negative
-the amount of conducted energy can be quite loud or can be quite soft.  The direction can, in the experienced student, run in the background - analogous to many programs running on your computer that are not readily apparent.   Direction should always have some energy, determination, and commitment.
-Direction should have some consistency to be effective.

The most important point is that this "direction" is NOT "doing".  Direction is intention plus energy.  It is not "doing" - one must leave oneself alone.  "Doing" is effort based, there is an action.  The third option is "not doing".   "Not doing" has no energy.    I propose that "direction" is non-doing.  "Direction" has energy and intention, but no effort.  When we use "direction" not one bit of dust is lifted.
  
Zen students are familiar with "Think of not thinking. How do you think of not thinking? Non-thinking. "
"Direction" is the physical, body based, corollary to this non-thinking.   

Giving yourself directions - energetic, consistent and focused direction without a trace of "doing" is quite difficult - perhaps because it is so simple.  You really need lessons from a qualified, experienced Alexander Technique teacher.   They can help show you how to use direction while leaving yourself alone.  

Training yourself in inhibition and direction will help anchor you in the present, inform how to physically sit zazen, and will provide you with the ability to do whatever you want with ease, grace and efficiency.

Thank you for reading.  I am interested in any thoughts you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment